Thursday 19 May 2011

Under the Boot

If you aren't a Rules Forum lurker like I am, then you may have missed the recent ruling of Trample.  If you end your movement in base-to-base with a small based model, you no longer get to make a Trample attack against them - well, if they're in your front arc at the end of the Trample.  Apparently now you must move over their base now.  As a giant can of worms, this is pretty big.  Does that mean all the way over?  Can I stop halfway across a base, get reset to my last valid position and then still get my Trample attack?  Why is this being implemented now after we've played with Trample as it was for over a year?

There are a lot of questions being asked now in the Rules Forum, which implies there has been a change in a core mechanic - which there has.  I don't view that as a good thing: if it isn't broken, don't fix it.  All this came about because someone asked "what happens if I'm in base-to-base with a bunch of small bases and I trample 0"?"  Given that the game has 0.5" melee range on all models, the odds of getting more than 2-3 small based models with this technique was nearly non-existent.

But alas, strange rulings and impending errata are not my providence.

No comments:

Post a Comment