Monday 1 November 2010

Dramatic Timing

The tournament at Highlander Games was a very pleasant event.  I was originally stupefied at the gaming tables set up at the shop, they were small and there were only about 5 of them in the shop.  Then I was told those were for the Yu-Gi-Oh players, all the wargaming was next door.  Phew!  The actual playing area is a little tight, but there's plenty of boards and more than enough terrain - and not just enough terrain, it was really nice terrain.  Now that I know who makes it, I'm hoping to update the terrain available for my tournaments next year.  The final rankings can be found on Warmachine UK here and here.

We'd originally pegged the tournament as being a 20 person affair, 22 had signed up but I guess one or two would drop out simply because that's how things are.  As it was, we had 16 players total, less than I thought we'd have, but still an excellent number (the perfect number for a single day event).  Apart from forgetting all my kitchen timers - they were in a box by my front door, so of course I left them behind when I left the house... - the event ran very smoothly.  No one had a strop, there were no dodgy rules callings, everyone seemed to be having fun, all a win-win situation for me.  A special thanks goes to Gary Campbell, the owner of Highlander Games for his many, many, many food and drink runs.

The next tournament I'm running will be Icy Grip on the 20th, though I'm going to have to make neat tournament prizes.  Having given up on students as an organised entity, I'm planning on independently booking the QMU for the 12th-13th of March for a 50 point tournament held over 2 days.  I'm still puzzling over names, but such things as 'The Tartan Brawl' spring to mind - cheesy but easy to remember.  As a side benefit to running the tournament in Dundee, I now know someone (Matt Reid) who makes incredible terrain and another who can make scenario markers and zones of all sizes (Midas).  Now I'll just have to work out what to get for all the scenarios and the maximum number of players I'm willing to herd.

Also: eKrueger's Themed Force has appeared on Bell of Lost Souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment