Friday 8 January 2010

Blood, Coin, House Keys, Phone

The secretive workings of the MKii Mercenary Contracts have been unveiled to us plebeians at last. You can find them here: http://privateerpress.com/company/blood-and-coin-mercenary-contracts-for-mk-ii

Magnus' Agenda players will be disappointed to learn that the specific contract no longer exists. Fret not though! For instead there are tiered lists for both versions of Magnus - unfortunately it doesn't change my pMagnus list, at least I could bring 2 Manglers instead of a Mangler and a Nomad in my eMagnus list. It's certainly tempting.

The other Contracts have also been changed. The Searforge Commission now benefit from an increased deployment zone (+4" - that's 20" AD for them, the joy). The most impressive change is in the Highborn Covenant however: they can now bring a unit of Gun Mages or Long Gunners, complete with attachments. Side note: Magnus' tiers also allow the Long Gunner or Trencher units to have attachments now.

What does this mean for you? Well... a Mule being 'jack marshalled by the Gun Mage UA can use Snipe. Having experienced the wonders of a Mule with Snipe on it while playing pMagnus, this is HUGE. Granted you have to bring 8 points worth of squishy Gun Mages with you, but it's certainly an option to consider. I think some experimentation will have to be done.

1 comment:

  1. I really like the Most Wanted tier list, apart from its wanting me to take two Steelhead units, using up points that I could be spending on the perks of Tier One (which seems counter-intuitive to me). It's a bit of a shame because I regularly play up to Tier Four as a matter of course (and, I imagine, so does every other Magnus player since the dawn of time: the cynic in me is saying that it caters to a stolidly unimaginative 'Magnus is unplayable without two Renegades and a Mangler, that is His Battlegroup, why would you change it' mindset that I for one have only really broken out of). However, I'd been fighting the urge to invest in some Steelhead cavalry anyway, so I might just give in and buy the blighters and have done with it. ;)

    Magnus' Agenda I just can't get excited about since I don't field Idrians and wouldn't want a second Mangler (it's not that they're bad, it's just that I like the variety of having a Nomad). I suppose that Tier One, which I'd be complying with anyway, at least frees up an extra point (with the reduction in the cost of Trenchers I'd had an odd point sitting in many of my lists and everything in my army having an even-numbered points cost). So that's good.

    ReplyDelete