Tuesday 24 November 2009

Playing the Field


It has begun. I was typing out my preliminary notes, particularly concerning the Trollbloods, but it's too early and the notes would be too lengthy to write out as I had planned. It would be a mighty Wall of Text, suitable for use in the construction industry.

Let us have a moment of silence for the end of an era. Mantarp has vanished. No longer will Johanna be horrified as Dermot and I discuss the virtues of Mantarp on Grim Angus (though Stony will be delighted). It has passed beyond the veil.

I am appalled at the lack of change I see in certain places. pKrueger's wold lightning spam is still alive and kicking, though the effects do begin to decline the more the pKrueger player spams Chain Lightning 4 times a turn. The Trollkin brick is still completely functional - indeed, it remains completely in place for the low Fury warlocks.

There are strange variations in certain warbeasts' MAT and RAT scores. For instance, why does the Feral Warpwolf possess a higher MAT than the Pureblood? I'm sure I could come up with a rational story-related and logical reason for this, but at first glance it makes no sense. Also, why does the Earthborn Dire Troll retain Elemental Communion instead of gaining the Controlled Warping of the Feral Warpwolf? It would make life simpler, though then we'd have to see the Earthborn's animus change again. An animus with a simple armour boost would be nice.

Many out of turn effects also remain in play (the Murchinator will be Pleased).

Now that I have spouted DOOM, I shall get some games in to spout the wonders of such things as the Runeshapers (5 damage boxes each, woot!).

2 comments:

  1. Would you perhaps say that HORDES is still an excitable, unbalanced beast full of developers' Little Darling ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd just say it tries out a lot more than Warmachine - after all, every warbeast has to come with some special ability. I haven't noticed any real difference in power so far, but then again I've only played one game.

    ReplyDelete