Monday 23 November 2009

Increased Iron Content

Why is it so hard to get a group of decent role-players together at the same time? It's a bewildering Gordian Knot of scheduling conflicts and general unreliability. Is this because we all have Real Lives now? What happened to all that precious Free Time we used to possess? It's probably a sign that it's time to give up the ghost and move on to other things; or lower my standards...

Taking a break from the earthborn for now; my swamp gobbers and the trollkin hero have diverted my attention temporarily. Searching through my bits box I found an old Madrak Ironhide head, so I put that on my hero instead of the normal head with the horsehair helm - there's just something more menacing about Madrak's face. I've since put the hero on hold until I figure out how to spruce up the hero's armour - at the moment it's just silver, very boring. I was thinking of some interesting freehand, but lack the artistic creativity to visualise what I'm after. Internet images ho! Thundercats reference for you philistines who don't get it.

Speaking of gobbers, why are there no miniatures of bogrin?

3 comments:

  1. Why is it so hard to get a group of decent role-players together at the same time? It's a bewildering Gordian Knot of scheduling conflicts and general unreliability

    That is a feeling I know oh so well. The number of games I've had to cancel due to scheduling conflicts is unbelievable. Makes me wonder why I even bother with campaigns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The odd thing, however, is that people frequently find time to commit to regular wargaming nights. If people are making noises about roleplaying but turning up week after week to wargame it probably indicates something about what they'd rather be doing.

    I would, though, say never lower your standards. Clashes of expectations ruin RPGs: wargames, too, but you really notice it in roleplaying. There's no point in someone who wants an epic tale of political intrigue at the high court of Llael running for two who just want to crump monsters and take loot, one who's bang alongside the idea of the high court but not interested in politics, and one who thinks they're interested in politics but doesn't have the roleplaying capacity to run a courtier character.

    How many people are you trying to get together?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strangely our wargamers are rarely role-players, this may be due to the role-playing night and the wargaming nights at various clubs/societies conflicting. It's finding suitable role-players who can at the very least pass off as normal, have good hygiene, and not be a total hassle to have in my game. As I've said before I view adventurers as the rock stars of their era, I don't like it when my players just want their character to sit in a tavern all day.

    And, four. Yes, just four.

    ReplyDelete