Monday 20 July 2009

Oh Mittens, Where for Art Thou?

Clearly the Mittens solo was not enough, we required more than Mittens and in greater numbers! Privateer Press has released pictures of an entire unit of Mittens, for which we are undoubtedly grateful. Woo. I've also just noticed that Mittens & friends are all bald; unlucky.

For those of us in the UK: Maelstrom games are currently offering a 17% discount from the RRP of all their products if you the magical Summer madness voucher code. The code is SUMMER-MADNESS, cunning foxes that they are at Maelstrom. This offer expires on the 27th of July so get your discounted goods quickly.

I've had a bit of a saga getting eDoomy varnished and sealed. Trying to follow in the footsteps of Ghool I used paint-on satin varnish and then apply some paint-on matt varnish. The brands I used were Windsor & Newton, specifically from their Galleria line of art products. I have to say the 'matt varnish' is really glossy, the satin varnish may as well have been full gloss. At least eDoomy is sealed *really* well now; if he chips now it's because someone took a chisel and hammer to him.


To dull down the gloss effect I hit eDoomy with a couple of doses from Marabu's Mattlack (matt varnish in some strange foreign language... damn those foreigners and their dirty foreign languages). This stuff comes in a very small can but it seems to have sucked some of the gloss off eDoomy, though there's a couple of places were the gloss effect just will not seem to go away from. Bit of a conundrum. The Xjel is vexed.

Edit: Ok, apparently I have to shake the paint-on varnish to get the matt particles to float to the top. I shall now go beat my head against a desk for 20 minutes to atone for my moron-ness.
Update: I've reapplied the paint-on matt varnish and now eDoomy is looking a lot better. The picture above is after one coat of the shaken matt varnish. I think I'm going to apply one more to help tone the gloss down.

No comments:

Post a Comment