Tuesday 3 February 2009

Non-Gaming Related: The Clewless Wedding

As I mentioned in the previous post my friend Daniel is now married to a lovely girl called Rachel. I was an usher at this wedding so I travelled up a couple of days early - forgetting the new black shoes I'd just bought in Glasgow too, so I had to buy a new pair in Aberdeen the day before the wedding.

The day before the wedding was a day of high stress: there was a wedding rehearsal, then we all went to the respective bride's or groom's houses. It was some time after arriving at Daniel's house that Daniel vanished... Yes, he went AWOL on us. We were supposed to have a poker night in our very snazzy top hats (I think I was the only groomsman who actually liked the hats). Instead we were wondering if Daniel had perhaps perished in a ditch somewhere. We didn't want to make the bride worry so we didn't phone Rachel. It wasn't until we began to call and text EVERYONE we knew (at about midnight I was looking up A&E numbers for the local hospitals) that we discovered that Daniel had been at the church with Rachel all this time. Bastard.

The wedding itself was made of awesome. I can't stress just how awesome it was. It was so awesome that AWESOME deserves capital letters. Eliza Helmond, the Dutch bridesmaid, tried to chat me up until she found out I'd brought Hannah with me. She was very forward, I like that. Maybe another time! All the bridesmaids looked amazing, though I have a distinct lack of pictures of the bridesmaids on my mobile... Oh yeah, I was busy with the wedding camera so didn't have time to take all the pictures I'd have liked.

The Wedding Breakfast had the best way of identifying each table I've ever seen. Each one was named after a comic book and had the cover of the particular comic on a tall stand in the middle of the table. I was sitting at the Ghost Rider table, which was slightly disappointing, I wanted Silver Surfer or Batman... Nonetheless, I got to sit next to the STUNNING Jocelyn Alithia Susan Grier - she's the VERY blonde bridesmaid (it's totally going to creep her out that I know her full name (it was on Facebook)). Each table also had a bucket of chilled IRN-BRU in small bottles. Classy stuff.

The official wedding photos were a blast, though there was one point when I thought the Best Man, Chris, was going to get hit in the face by a bus. The photographer had asked him to hang onto a lamp post and lean into the road. Once we arrived at the reception there were more photos, this time with fake moustaches and toy light sabres. I kid you not. I almost fell off a set of spiral stairs for those pictures. "Lean out more!" he said. "You won't plummet and land face first into the gravel path." he said. I tried to keep my fake moustache on for as long as possible but it started to get very itchy and had to be discarded.

I loved the ceilidh (as always) though my shirt wasn't much fun to sweat in. The shirts for the groomsmen were all rented so were very starchy and made out of polyester I think. Getting hot and sticky in them was not fun. I discovered Hannah is rather light and easy to fling around - perhaps all my working out is paying off after all! I think I missed about four dances the whole night, simply because I was in charge of the 'official' wedding camera until it ran out of batteries.

After the ceilidh there was a magician. No really, a magician. While not the best magician I've seen he'd clearly done performances for the university circuit, he was side-splittingly entertaining. He also had an albino rabbit called Basil that performed the last trick of the night - which Daniel almost screwed up somehow.

There was a disco once the magician and the ceilidh were over but I had to leave with Chris since I was staying at his place for the night. Both of us were totally exhausted when we got to his place, he pretty much collapsed once we'd put Hannah in a taxi back to her sister's place. Being made of sterner stuff (cough cough) I stayed up and sorted out all the stuff I'd have to return before I went to bed.

Congratulations Daniel and Rachel Clews.

No comments:

Post a Comment