Friday 5 December 2008

Gaming Blog: Jim Ganked Me

So... played Jim Lawrence at last. It only took a month for him to become available for a game. I brought my new mercenary list with a heavy melee influence - rather than the shooting one I was previously using. Jim brought Mortenebra, no Deathjack however. That didn't stop me dying to a caster kill on Turn 2 in the first game.

I think I could have won the second game we played (since the first one only lasted 30 mins, 15 of which was setting up the board) if I had parked my renegade in front of Jim's slayer so it couldn't trample all my kayazy assassins. I'd planned to do this but didn't leave a big enough gap between assassins for it to get through - I was fiddling with their placement before deciding that I'd let go of the miniatures and I'd have to live with my mistake. So they got trampled and it all went down hill from there. I'm sure Jim would have let me sort out their placement to my heart's content but I'm trying to learn to play quickly and to minimise my initial mistakes.

For those of you who don't know Jim, he wins just about every tournament known to man in Glasgow using his Khador, I think he's missing 2 gold cards from the ENTIRE Khador list. It's my long term goal to be able to beat Jim on a semi-regular basis with my mercenaries. It's somewhat unlikely that I'm going to succeed soon, he's been doing this for six years, I've played 8 games so far.

There's a special Rage and Rivets (Mangled Metal/Tooth and Claw mixed) 750 point tournament tomorrow at the QMU. We're allowed two warcasters/warlocks, I've chosen to bring Magnus the Traitor and Fiona the Black. Fiona's not the best warcaster to bring since she's very anti-infantry, but mix her spell Affliction with the shredder weapon on my renegades and there's going to be some very, very dead warjacks/warbeasts. Unfortunately I could only get hold of one spare renegade from a friend, so only 3 renegades of doom for me.

Lessons Learnt:
Advance as far into the table as possible as soon as possible. Use Magnus' feat if you have to.
Null Magic from Orin Midwinter is incredibly useful vs Mortenebra. Must remember to get him as far into the opponent's 'casting zone' as I can. Almost managed to pin down Mortenebra using Null Magic and the mangler.
Mortenebra can have a helljack in your deployment zone by turn 2. Leave no gaps in the defensive line where it can charge your warcaster.
Kill the bloody skarlock early. The less focus Mortenebra has the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment