Sunday 24 August 2008

The Gun Mage

I'm currently drafting up the next set of utility spells for the gun mage, hopefully covering the weaker points of the class. These are the lack of defensive powers to keep the gun mage alive and spells to improve their mobility. While people are big fans of Caine's blink-like powers, I'm leaving any teleports until the end of the paragon tier. Caine's power is supposed to be unique to him, to give it to everyone makes it rather mundane.
What I see happening in the paragon tier is the gun mage learning to be more mobile, so there will be a lot more shifting attached to the powers. One of the first utility powers in the paragon tier also allows the gun mage to create a phantom pistol for a round, which in turn allows them to get off that vital shot if they've been disarmed somehow. There will also be several powers that do not require a gun of course.
Paragon paths... Now here's a problem for me, I don't have a copy of NQ 16, where the gun mage prestige classes were presented. If someone can send me a copy of the relevant articles (or even just the descriptive fluff) so I can see how Privateer Press portray the Arcane Tempest and Amethyst Rose I would be greatly appreciative.

1 comment:

  1. Have you checked out the new swordmage excerpt? The new swordmage uses his magic weapon as an implement, much like the gunmage will have to with his magelock.

    I haven't checked to see how close the two ideas are, but I figured I'd toss that out.

    ReplyDelete